Alexander's quilt is finished!
And just in time for '09 Christmas.lol.
I think it turned out pretty good.
Anyway, let me show you what I did.
Here is the sneek peek from last month on the fabric I decided to use.
The fabric is ANDOVER FABRICS of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Alexander loves this book so much that we had to buy a replacement book. So I thought this fabric would be a perfect match.
I bought and used:
2 panels of P0260 3471 M
2.5 yards of P0260 3472 M
(or as I like it call food stripes.)
2 yards plain cotton yellow fabric
(Alexander's new favorite color)
2.5 yards batting
1 twin polka dot flat sheet
(Thank you Valerie for the sheet...It came in handy.lol)
In order to get this to the size I wanted (extra long twin-65" x 102" or 2'x 3'. I love quilts that wrap around pillows.lol.) I cut one of the panels leaves off like you see in the picture. Then I sewed the two panels together on their short ends so it was nice and long. This also seemed to me to be more pleasing to my eyes.
Here you can see all my strips cut out and ready two be sewn. I cut the food strips so that the blue stripe was on the top (I sewed this so you don't see that blue in the quilt.) of every strip.
Then I cut 8-8.5" strips of yellow. I used a pre-made binding so I didn't need to cut anymore stuff out.
As you can see, I sewed the large food strips to the center panel facing outwards, then the yellow fabric, then the small food strips also facing outwards, and then the binding (After I quilted it of course.lol).
I then quilted 2" squares all over the entire quilt.
I also used the leftover leaf as a label on the back. Which I thought was pretty cool of myself.lol.
I have some leftovers. Maybe I'll put them together with others later in order to make a crazy left over quilt...Or maybe a doll quilt.
The lesson I learned with this quilt is you really should listen when they say don't trim your backing until after your done quilting. That mistake was a bit time consuming to fix.
I also learned that hand sewing the binding takes a lot of time. I'm hoping that on the next one I can avoid doing this by cutting my own...We'll see.