9.01.2007

Birthday Socks part 2

Pattern: Queen Kahuna's Crazy Toes and Heels.
Needles: 2 size 0 circular Addi Turbo 20" long
Yarn: 1 skein of SWTC's Tofutsies item # 719 purchased from the Destash site that is no longer...such a bummer.
Gauge: 8sts=1"
Finished dimensions: 2" long ribbing and 5.5"long for the leg. 10.5" long for the foot and circumference.
Modifications: I put the gusset ridge where it would have been if I had knitted them cuff down.
Notes: I knitted these guys using the Aloha cast on (p.15), a plain heel, and the Aloha cast off (p.66).

I liked how fast and easy the cast on was but didn't really care for the ridge. Hubby doesn't seem to notice anything with his toes so that's good. I also noticed that I really don't seem to like knitting toe up as much as cuff down. Their's something in the process of finishing the toes that marks the end for me. Now that doesn't mean I won't knit toe up because it's just too practical not to do in some yarn yardage cases. Anyway, I probably won't buy this yarn again since it just didn't appeal to me. I kept thinking about the Chitin stuff as I knitted. How do you grind up shrimp and crab shells to make yarn? Where are they getting the shrimp and crabs to do this? Why would you want to use Chitin? Was it nessesary for the yarn? Does it really make a difference? And who's idea was it? See too much thinking. This is the same reason why I won't buy bamboo yarn (or other bamboo stuff...needles, cutting boards, etc). Have you ever watched a panda documentary? They always state that they don't know how the pandas can eat so much bamboo and not have any affects from the poison naturally found in bamboo (I can't remember for sure but I think it's arsenic). Now I've googled bamboo and can't find anything but I still don't trust it. Of course, there's a lot of stuff I won't buy anymore because I don't trust the health aspect of it.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I love the way the pattern worked on these!

wendy said...

Hubby loves the zig zag affect too.